Rangoli making is one of my favorite work for Diwali decoration. I am sure you love it too. Making colors and playing with it is really fun. The best part is when you designed a piece of art and people complements it. I always try my best to make it beautiful and unique. But, getting the exact design of my choice is really very tough task.
That’s why I have decided to help you with this picking and making task. Giving you a list of 60 rangoli designs pick the easiest or any doable out of the given design and give a surprise to everyone. This is not all tody I am also answering all of your most frequently asked questions. so, if you find it useful, do not forget to comment and share with your friends. ‘Diwali Rangoli stickers
I am sure you are all set to celebrate Diwali. But after Dresses, Gifts and Diwali decorations, it is now a time to make Diwali Rangoli. Check out all the 60 designs below.
What do you mean by Rangoli?
An Indian Originated Art form, in which Designs and Patterns with colors are created on the floor. The tradition of making Rangoli on Diwali is a very old tradition. Almost everyone makes colorful Rangoli in front of their door on the occasion of Diwali. Different designs are created and filled with colors, colorful flowers, colored rice or flour to
Traditionally rangoli was made with the flour, colored rice and even with soaked rice batter. But by the time, ways are changing. People started using readymade colors, synthetic colors or even paints.
Although, I think there is nothing bad in change. The development led to change and comfort. You can definitely use the readymade colors as these colors s much cheaper and less lime consuming too.
We all the busy with our work and life. As a result, almost everyone is searching for the easiest and quickest way of doing a thing. Just keep in mind, the colors should not be harmful to anyone. Buy the best colors and escape the preparation step of Rangoli making.
What is the purpose of Rangoli?
Today the main purpose of making Rangoli is for decoration. People make designs and patterns using different colors to make there surround look beautiful.
But there are many thinkings and traditions related to this art creation on the day. On Diwali, we worship goddess Laxmi. And she is a goddess of wealth and good luck. Rangoli is made to please the goddess and to invite her to the house.
It is believed that Goddess brings happiness, luck and wealth and everyone try their best to please the goddess.
Although, I don’t think that this is totally true. God loves everyone equally and gives everything that one deserves. Just do everything with love, dedication, and devotion towards God.
Clean your house and your surroundings, decorate with lights and make beautiful Rangoli. Then worship Lord Ganesh and Goddess Laxmi to invite them to your place.
Whatever is the purpose of making rangoli, it makes the Diwali celebration even more special. Make Rangoli if you are an art lover, make it please goddess or just create your new Diwali rangoli design to decorate your house.
It will help you bring happiness, Good health, good luck and wealth in your house. So, do not forget to make Rangoli this Diwali. Check all these easy designs and choose one for you.
Why do people make Rangoli on Diwali?
On Diwali people make Rangoli for decorating their house. Diwali is one of the biggest festivals and is celebrated by a huge population. People decorate their houses with lights and Diyas. Make Rangoli and decorate it with diyas, candles or oil lamps.
Make sweets, wear new clothes, worship Lord Ganes and Goddess Laxmi and invite their friends and family members for the celebration. And all this preparation is to please goddess Laxmi and Lord Ganesh.
Traditionally Rangoli is made out of rice flour or soaked rice batter. Or people also use colored rice for making different patterns on the floor. For this, they wash rice and color it with different colors, let it dry and then make designs. Today we can buy readymade colors and stencils for making different designs. But, in the beginning, people use to make colors with flowers, leaves and different natural things.
How many types of rangoli are there?
There are 8 possible types of Rangoli on the basis of the material used.
Soaked rice batter is the oldest way of Rangoli making. In Ancient days women use to soak rice in water and grind it to make a thin batter. And, then use to make different patterns. They also mix turmeric or vermilion for different colors. You can make designs as you do with the liquid paints.
Semolina (Rawa) or Rice
You can use raw rice or semolina as your availability. Sprinkle some water and put the dry color or any color you want. Mix it well using your fingers. And let it get dry completely. Draw patterns and fill it with colored rice or rawa.
Both rice and Rawa is heavy substances and doesn’t move even in wind. In my view, it is one of the easiest ways of making Rangoli. You just have to color the rice or rawa and you are ready to make a perfect Rangoli.
Dry powdered color
The easiest way is to buy readymade Rangoli colors. But keep in mind that the readymade colors are made up of chemicals and are synthetic. If you are busy and really can’t get time for making colors at home, this will be a perfect option for you.Buy rangoli powder color here.
These dry powdered colors are easy to use and make designs on floors. You can buy readymade colors from the nearby market and these colors are also easily available online.
Marble dust is really a good option or alternative. As it is heavy, fine-textured powder. It is very easy to spread and make designs and also stays at its place for long.Buy Marble dust here.
One more positive point of using marble dust is that its colors stay as it is for a longer time than any other readymade color. These dust are easily available online as well as in the market.
Swa dust is basically wood dust that left after making furniture. You can buy it from carpenter’s shop or just buy it from anywhere else. Also, use it to make plant designs or even any design of your choice.
You can color this sawdust using any liquid water-based color. Or just use dry color after sprinkling some water. Mix the colors well and made different designs and patterns.
This is the most commonly used way of making Rangoli. As almost everyone buys readymade colors from the market instead of preparing at their home. But, in mind that all those colors are synthetic colors prepared with chemicals.
It might be harmful to our environment. Try to buy only natural and herbal organic colors even for rangoli making on Diwali.
Making Rangoli with flowers is the best way in my view. As it is all-natural, looks beautiful and spread sweet floral aroma everywhere. Pluck flowers from the plants and trees but without harming the plants.
You can use leaves, dry leaves even dry bark of trees. Be a little creative this Diwali. Use crushed dry leaves and flowers petals. You can use a water tub to decorate flowers and Diyas to make it look more beautiful.
Use paints to draw and make designs of the ground. You can use any fabric paint, oil paint or water-based paints. I will recommend using Water-based paints as these paints are easy to remove.
If you want your Rangoli design to stay for long just use Oil paint.
How to make easy Rangoli designs step by step?
For Easy Rangoli making you will need Rangoli Colors, Stencils or an easy design, chalk pencil and Chart paper. The easiest way to make a beautiful rangoli is to use stencils. You can do even the tough impressions easily using a stencil.
Here are the steps for making Rangoli easily.
- Buy Readymade Rangoli colors
- Choose your design, Try to choose easy designs with big patterns
- Choose a material like- readymade color, flowers or sand, rice or if you want using marble dust or anything
- Take a black or white chart paper
- Practice designs on rough paper several times
- Draw the final design on the chart paper using chalk or pencil with a light hand
- Apply some glue (very little) or oil to the backside of the paper
- Place at the door or at the place where you want your Rangoli to be
- Use white Rangoli color (if using) for outlines if you are using black chart paper (vice versa)
- Carefully draw the outline first
- Fill the patterns using different colors of your choice
- Decorate with lights and diyas
- And your Easy rangoli is ready
How to make peacock rangoli?
Peacock Rangoli is the most common Rangoli design. Peacock is a bird that shows Freedom and eternal life. Some believe that peacock symbolizes the Universe (sun and the starts) As when it opens the wings, eyes shapes on the wings symbolize stars and wings symbolize the sun rays.
Some relate it with Hindu mythology. Whatever it, but we all know it is a symbol of beauty and positivity. That’s why I am giving you some easiest steps for making Peacock Rangoli.
- Take some sand, quantity depends on the size of the design
- Filter fine sand particles using sieves
- Take the fine sand and sprinkle some water
- Mix it well using your hand so that it gets wet evenly
- Divide into 4-5 parts ( depending on the number of colors you have)
- Mix different colors to the different part of sands
- Transfer all the colored sands into separate containers
- Let it get dry completely
- Stir it well using hands or any spatula (make sure there are no lumps)
- Damp the area of the ground where you want to make design
- Draw the outline and patterns using chalk
- Then put the sand of outlines first, you can use white-colored sand or flour or just use normal sand without any color.
- The fill the designs with different beautiful colors
- Just sprinkle with a light hand as you sprinkle salt on your plate
- Do not touch after putting colors on the rangoli
- I’ll recommend using any Peacock design stencil if you cannot manage to draw
How to draw Rangoli designs steps by steps?
Here I am giving you the traditional and the oldest way of making Rangoli. Making Rangoli with soaked rice batter is the oldest way of this art. Make a rangoli art using Rice and keep your tradition alive.
- Soak rice for overnight or for at least 3-4 hrs
- Grind the soaked rice in the grinder
- Make a thin paste
- Add more water to it and strain the thin watery liquid from it
- Don’t have to make a thick paste
- Choose the best design for you
- Try to draw the design on the ground using a paintbrush
- Just dip your brush in the rice water and draw
- It will not visible at that time but after it gets dry, it will be visibly brighter
- If you don’t have a brush, do it in a traditional way and use cotton balls
- You can Use vermilion for red color, turmeric for Yellow, leaf juice or paste for green and mix the yellow with green to make it blue
- It will look beautiful and brighter as It gets dry
- The best way is that you can rub and remake it quickly
How to make Rangoli designs with dots?
Dots make the toughest design simple for you. It works similarly as dots helps kids to make a line or any alphabet. Following dots for drawing designs is the best and easiest way. Use Chart paper and ruler to make a perfect design on the ground.
Draw the pattern on the chart paper. Take big 0r medium-size paper depending on the size of your design. This technique is best for making tough geometrical structures and patterns.
- Take a chart paper or any other paper
- Draw the design on the paper
- Make round cuts on each of the corners of the design
- Place the paper at the desired place
- Put colors on the round cuts
- Remove the paper carefully without disturbing the color dots
- Now join all the dots following the design. (Use a ruler if needed)
- Fill the colors and your rangoli is ready
You can also make easy designs using dots. Draw concentric circles using different colors make dots using contrast color on each ring. Also, make dots to the outer surface of the outer circle. You can decorate your design by making dots.
How to make Rangoli Powder at home?
You can make two types of color powders for Rangoli at home. The first way is to use all-purpose flour or refined flour and secondly, you can use sand.
- Take 2-3 bowls of sand, take quantity according to your need
- Use a sieve to refine and get fine particles
- Collect fine sands in a pot
- Pour some water in it
- Mix well using your hands so that sand gets wet evenly
- Now divide it the small parts ( according to the number of colors)
- Mix different colors into different sand
- Use refile flour for white color
- Let the sand gets dry before use
- Add vermilion for a red color
- Use the sufficient quantity of turmeric for color yellow the flour
- Be a little innovative and creative to explore new colors
- Keep in mind we can’t add water to it
- You’ll get fewer color options as compared to sand.
I prefer using sand instead of flour. As it is much cheaper and also easy to use. Color of sand stays for long, however, the color of the flour fades away.
Although both are fine, smooth and easy to use. But, sand is heavier than flour and stays for a longer time. The best thing about using sand is that we can reuse it. Whereas flour cannot be reused and it’ll get wasted.
What is Rangoli Kolam?
Kolam is a traditional art of making designs and Rangoli using rice flour, chalk or chalk powder and even rock powder is used.
Rangoli kolam is basically white in color and is widely seen in south India. Now readymade chalk powder or rice flour is available in the market. You just have to purchase it and make patterns and designs of your choice.
You can use soaked rice batter or just use rice flour. Use chalk or chalk powder, dissolve it into a bowl of water and mix it well. Then make Rangoli designs using paintbrush or cotton balls.
But it is not necessary to make it whole white. You can make it colorful by adding different colors to the mix. Actually, Kolam is a folk art form and is also called Muggu. Different people use different materials to make it. But white designs made out of chalk or rice is the basic form of Kolam.
What do we call Rangoli art in English?
Actually, It is called Rangoli in English as well. There is no specific word for this art form. But it has a different name in different regions of India. Like kolam, jhoti, chawkpurana, mandana, muggu and many more.
What is used to make rangoli designs?
Materials like rice flour, soaked rice batter, chalk mix, colored sand, colored salt, flour, marble dust, semolina, and flowers are used to make color patterns on ground or floor. People also make rangoli using fabric paints or oil paints to preserve it for longer.
Which Colours are used to make rangoli?
Traditionally Turmeric, vermilion, bricks powder, flour leaves juice and flowers are used to make different colors. But, now readymade kolam colors are used as a modern variation.
There are many fruits and fruit peels that can give us a beautiful natural color. But the main challenge is to get proper pigmentation and the exact color out of it. Like, beetroot is can be used to gem agenda, Lavender flowers or any other similar flower can be used to get Indigo. Carrot and pomegranate can give use red pink and orange color.
You can grind fruits and peels to get different colors. Or some fruits and veggies can be used after making a dry powder out of it. But for yellow nothing can be as good as turmeric.
How do you dye rice for Rangoli?
Dying rice is really very simple. You’ll need some water base colors that you want to use.
- Wash the rice and make it wet
- Separate the rice in different bowls for different colors
- Add the colors one by one in each container
- Max the color well so that all the rice get colored
- Let the rice gets dried
- If you don’t wanna use readymade colors, use natural coloring agents
- Turmeric for yellow
- Add vermilion to get red
- For pink add a little rice flour with the vermilion
- Add Ujala (indigo used for white clothes) to color indigo
- Mix turmeric and vermilion to get orange
- Then mix blue and yellow to get green
These colors are enough to make beautiful colorful rangoli. If you want you can make a black color by using red and blue color together. However, black is supposed to be the indicator of negativity and is not used in any happy occasion.
Although I do not support these thoughts. You can use whatever color you want according to your need and choice. Go ahead, Make rangoli using different colors this Diwali. And do not forget to share your Diwali experience and story with me.
How do you make the color brown Rangoli?
Brown color can be formed by mixing Red with black color. If you are using all-natural colors mix vermilion with Neel (indigo) you can also use the lavender flowers. To make it a brown color, red should be more than black. If it looks black to add more and more red to it until you get the perfect brown color.
How do you color flour?
Mix readymade dry colored powder in the flour. Or add vermilion and turmeric for red and yellow color. Mix brick powder to give it a color. Similarly, you can use other dry pigmented thigs to get different colors in the flour.
How do you color sand?
To color sand, you need to make it wen and add colors to it. Let it get dried completely before final use. Coloring sand is really very easy. The main this that you’ll need is a highly pigmented coloring agent.
What Colours make white?
Rice flour, Refine or all-purpose flour, and chalk is used as the white color for Rangoli. You can also use white rice to give it a white color. What white rangoli is basically made of soaked rice batter or chalk water. These are the best coloring agent for bright white color
Thank you, for reading this much. please do let me know if I have missed anything related. And do not forget to share your stories, suggestions, and experiences here in the comment box. Happy Diwali!